Role: Senior Associate, Communications
Reports to: Director of Communications
Location: The person hired for this role may telecommute from anywhere in the United States.
Chiefs for Change is a nonprofit, bipartisan network of diverse state and district education leaders. With more than three dozen members, our work is focused on advocacy and leadership development.
We are positioned to spread bold policies and practices, as we have:
- National reach: Our members lead education systems with more than 7 million students, 454,000 teachers, and 14,000 schools.
- Diverse contexts: Our network is diverse in terms of race, gender, political affiliation, and geography.
- A model for disseminating promising ideas: We work with our members to advocate for policies and practices that make a difference for students.
To learn more about Chiefs for Change, please visit chiefsforchange.org.
Chiefs for Change is seeking a senior associate, communications. The person should have a nuanced understanding of our organizational mission and key audiences within the education field and federal policy landscape. They will be responsible for drafting, editing, designing, and coordinating the production of content to highlight the work of Chiefs for Change members and our advocacy priorities.
Reporting to the director of communications and working closely with the director and the chief external affairs officer, the senior associate must be a strong writer and a skilled project manager. They must have excellent attention to detail and be committed to consistently producing a high-quality work product. In addition, the person must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to analyze policy; identify compelling stories; systematically track information; produce a variety of external-facing print and digital content; meet critical deadlines; and cultivate strong relationships with influencers and partners. They must share the organization’s core beliefs.
- Draft and edit compelling and persuasive op-eds, blog posts, fact sheets, web stories, media pitches, social media content, and related communications
- Compile and track information and trends about work in our members’ systems
- Monitor local, state, and national news media for educational policy trends with an eye toward member impact and Chiefs for Change advocacy goals
- Analyze policy and recommend responses
- Build and maintain distribution lists and multimedia archives
- Analyze engagement metrics and identify strategic opportunities for deeper impact
- Manage a variety of communications projects with internal and external partners
- Coordinate national member events
- Carry out additional responsibilities as assigned
Candidates must possess all of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5-7 years of professional experience in communications or a related field
- An understanding of best practices in external communications
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- A proactive approach to problem solving and strong critical thinking skills
- The ability to produce accurate, timely communications and handle confidential information with discretion
The salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
How to Apply
To Apply: Please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. As we are a small team, we are not able to respond to each inquiry. We will reach out directly to those candidates who we select to move forward in the interview process. We believe diversity is a source of strength and welcome applicants of all races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, and ethnic and cultural backgrounds.