Role: Senior Associate, Development
Reports to: Senior Director of Development
Location: This position may telecommute from anywhere in the United States.
Chiefs for Change is a nonprofit, bipartisan network of diverse state and district education chiefs. With more than three dozen members, our work is focused on advocacy, leadership development, and supporting our network of school system leaders.
We are positioned to rapidly spread bold policies and practices, as we have:
- National reach: Our members lead education systems with more than 7 million students, 454,000 teachers, and 14,000 schools.
- Diverse contexts: Our network is diverse in terms of race, gender, political affiliation, and geography.
- A model for disseminating promising ideas: We work with our members, excellent technical assistance providers, and top-tier research institutions to scale innovative approaches designed to improve student learning.
To learn more about Chiefs for Change, please visit chiefsforchange.org.
Chiefs for Change (CFC) is seeking a highly driven, goal-oriented individual with outstanding writing skills, experience with grant management and reporting, and a passion for educational equity to join the team as senior associate of development.
Reporting to and in partnership with the senior director of development, the senior associate will manage development work streams as Chiefs for Change continues to strengthen its relationships with key partners and funders. As an integral member of the development team, the senior associate will manage the existing portfolio of grants by collecting and synthesizing data; preparing high-quality written proposals, reports, and communications; and tracking key outcomes to optimize engagement and stewardship efforts. The ideal candidate is an exceptional communicator and skilled project manager, who possesses exemplary writing and research skills, and is comfortable working in a fast-paced, collaborative virtual environment with opportunities for professional growth.
This is a remote position with a preference for the person to be based in the Washington, D.C., area.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Partnering with the senior director to assess and refine fundraising and stewardship strategies
- Leading the comprehensive grant process, including writing and editing proposals; submitting proposals; processing the award; reporting on grant milestones; and preparing renewal submissions
- Conceptualizing and drafting compelling narratives and high-quality written materials, including grant reports; proposals; briefs; letters of inquiry; presentations; and email campaigns
- Conducting timely and accurate research and working with the development team to evaluate philanthropic, corporate, federal, and individual grant prospects
- Managing all funder requirements throughout the grant cycle to ensure cross-team contribution and submission of letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports
- Collecting and synthesizing information and data on programs and priorities for grant reports, proposals, and supplementary materials in collaboration with CFC staff
- Managing consistent communications with program officers and funder teams related to grant processes
- Supporting the growth of relationships with existing funders in collaboration with the development coordinator
- Assisting the senior director and the executive team in advancing the organization’s development and partnerships work via special projects as needed
Candidates should possess the following:
- Passion for the mission and vision of Chiefs for Change
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to prioritize items to meet critical deadlines
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Exceptional written communication skills: specifically, must write compellingly about our organization, mission, and goals and effectively tailor messaging to different audiences
- Exemplary writing and research skills, including the ability to synthesize information and adapt it to different audiences
- Professional multi tasker with top-notch project management and organization skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Proactive approach to problem solving with strong decision-making capabilities
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- An appetite for working through ambiguity and leading through change
- Familiarity with data tracking, progress monitoring, and goals-based management (preferred)
- Strong experience with database systems; Salesforce experience (preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree; 5-7 years of professional experience
The salary and benefits for this position are competitive and will depend on prior experience. Chiefs for Change also offers a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
To Apply: Please submit your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. As we are a small team, we are not able to respond to each inquiry. We will reach out directly to those candidates who we select to move forward in the interview process. We believe diversity is a source of strength and welcome applicants of all races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, and ethnic and cultural backgrounds.