Chiefs for Change is a nonprofit, bipartisan network of diverse state and district education chiefs. With approximately 35 members, our work is focused on advocacy, leadership development, and member supports.
We are positioned to rapidly spread bold policies and practices as we have:
- National reach: Our members lead education systems with more than 7 million students, 435,000 teachers, and 14,000 schools.
- Diverse contexts: Our network is diverse in terms of race, gender, political affiliation, and geography.
- A model for disseminating promising ideas: We work with our members, excellent technical assistance providers, and top-tier research institutions to scale innovative approaches designed to improve student learning.
To learn more, please visit chiefsforchange.org.
Chiefs for Change is seeking a highly organized, proactive, and thoughtful individual to support our members. The person hired for this role will be a critical partner to our members and work closely with Chiefs for Change’s Chief Operating Officer to offer targeted and ongoing support services and strategic advising to states and districts during periods of change, such as a leadership transition or crisis. In this position, the person will offer intensive and tailored support by creating tools, resources, and learning opportunities, connecting members to the best knowledge and collaborating with outside experts and partner organizations.
The position requires a person with exceptional project management skills and experience in the education field, preferably in a district and/or state education agency. This person must care deeply about educational equity, the mission of Chiefs for Change, and supporting education leaders in states and districts. A successful candidate has a proven track record of results, is motivated by impact, and demonstrates political savvy, curiosity, creativity, and support for bipartisan collaboration.
- Develop, implement, and maintain systems to manage multiple projects across states and districts involving numerous partner organizations and external stakeholders
- Create and monitor project plans, tasks, assignments, and detailed schedules to ensure work is delivered on time and meets all expectations for quality. Assist the COO in holding the team and project partners accountable to plans and deliverables with strong attention to detail
- Consult with partner organizations to keep work aligned with member needs
- Identify, plan for, and support member learning opportunities and network connections
- Coordinate and facilitate regular touchpoints with members and partner organizations; including convenings on specific priorities and best practices
- Provide feedback and strategic guidance to Chiefs as they plan, adapt and adopt initiatives and strategies
- Develop a deep understanding of partner organizations’ priorities, strengths, and engagement in member districts and states. Support CFC and its members in engaging with partner organizations as needed
- Support the policy and research needs of members and have a strong ability to assess quality of work products developed by partners and to provide thoughtful feedback on products
Skills and experience may include one or more of the following:
- Education experience, preferably in a district and/or state education agency. Direct experience working with political leaders also preferred
- Ability to be responsive, nimble, and nuanced during a period of uncertainty
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, take the initiative, and display tenacious follow-through
- Positive demeanor, curious, eager, and excited to work in a rapidly changing and entrepreneurial environment
- A proactive approach to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
In addition, candidates must possess all of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 5-7 years of education experience with a track record of success
- Outstanding project management skills
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to prioritize items to meet critical deadlines
- Ability to see a project from conception to delivery
- Willingness to hold oneself personally accountable for results in a rapidly changing context
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Passionate about Chiefs for Change’s mission and vision
- Experience using Google Apps (i.e., Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Forms, etc.)
- Proficient in PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
The salary and benefits for this position are competitive and depend on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. As we are a small team, we are not able to directly respond to each inquiry. We will reach out directly to those candidates that we select to move forward in the interview process. We believe diversity is a source of strength and welcome applicants of all races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.